Middle Aged Entrepreneurs – Who Are They?
Hello everyone. As an introduction, I need to tell you something about myself. I am an entrepreneur! You’ll probably laugh when I say this next part, but I discovered just recently that I’m middle-aged! Middle aged was kind of a shock to me because I don’t feel middle-aged and I don’t look middle-aged. Right?! Don’t answer that! Anyway, middle-age just kind of snuck up on me. It’s not like I didn’t know how old I was. It’s just one day you ’see’ things differently! You finally ‘see’ your adult children and grandchildren and you see retirement looming in the very near future. It’s when you recognize that all the people around you are 45 years and younger and that everyone else in the workforce is waaay younger than you!
So if you’re over 50+ all types of things are changing that make you pay attention to your immediate financial future. We worry about social security and if it will be available for us. We think about retirement, insurance and what to leave the children and grandchildren. I personally started worrying about how much longer I wanted to work and how could I live comfortably in this economy and who knows when it will turn around? For those of us that are middle-aged, time seems to be moving very quickly nowadays! So the logical thing for me to do was find something that could help me meet my financial goals and I could worry less about my future. So I became a middle aged entrepreneur – a new breed of network marketer!
Is There A Middle Aged Entrepreneur Trend?
There are an estimated 78.3 million Americans who are considered baby boomers or middle aged folks born between 1946-1964. Many of us are expected to retire or are in the throes of it. But our economy is particularly challenging and retirement may not be an option for many of us. I know how tired I am now…and working until I’m 65-70 seems somehow unimaginable to me! Many people I know are working long and far past retirement just to live reasonably and comfortably. Many people my age are looking for supplemental income and considering home-based businesses as an alternative or for supplementation. Five years ago, for the first time in my life I considered being a middle age entrepreneur and a home-based business owner …considerably later in life than most people.
Middle Aged Entrepreneurs Are On The Rise
When I started thinking about becoming an entrepreneur, 80% of the people at the business meetings I attended seemed to be people under the age of 45′. Although middle aged entrepreneurs are on the rise, there were still considerably less people like ‘me.’ We don’t think about entrepreneurship or working a home-based business because we grew up with the ‘workforce mentality. But now, times are changing and more middle aged entrepreneurs are looking at legitimate home based businesses. I’m here to tell you that it may be our ‘middle aged saving grace’ in an economy that is still struggling to improve.
What’s a Middle Aged Entrepreneurs Problem Anyway?
Many network marketing company leaders may push to market online, get involved in social media, and get leads on line when the reality is, most middle aged entrepreneurs may not be computer literate or even have computers or may not be as quick to pick up on the latest technologies or social networks as quickly as the younger generation computer gurus. I know that may seem unimaginable to most, but I’ve come across it over and over again as I build my business. I’ve discovered the ‘norm’ is over 50+ may not be computer or social networking savvy. Of course, there is old-style, nose to the grindstone old fashioned network marketing, but if the wave of the future is technology and social media, how does a middle aged entrepreneur keep up and build a business?
Can A Middle Aged Entrepreneur Be Successful Anyway?
Yes – we’ve got to get with the program. Be flexible, be open to new and exciting ways of meeting people, socializing and doing business. In addition, there are many reasons why a middle aged entrepreneur can be very successful. Here are 8 reasons why you as a middle aged entrepreneur can have success in a home-based business. Middle age entrepreneurs are likely to:
- Be more focused and determined to get what they want out of life as many are looking at a limited timeframe to get things done.
- Be more settled having accomplished many of the things like education, marriage and children. Their business and financial goals are top priorities.
- Understand what they want and are more likely to stay on the path for a longer period of time to see their goals come to fruition due to their maturity and lack of distractions. Many people who start an MLM or home-based business don’t stay in it long enough to see their returns.
- Be experts at time management and organization. These learned skills, usually coming from a corporate or management background are useful skills to help in any business.
- Know their ‘Why’ before anyone ever tells them to write one.
- Interact with people easily in order to accomplish your own business goals.
- Have long previous relationship experience. They’ve already established networks of people over their lifetime that can help them become very successful entrepreneurs. They’ve got a larger network of people to pull from.
- Have more capital to invest in their new business ventures. One of the prime objections in network marketing is ‘they don’t have the money.’
If you have found this helpful, please leave a comment and let me know what you think. Thank you for listening.
Barbara Charles, The Baby Boomer Entrepreneur