Over 50 Entrepreneurs
I’ve noticed although I don’t know if others pay it the least bit of attention.
I think it’s because I’m over 50, but the new trend is Over 50 Entrepreneurs.
Particularly, I noticed it on Facebook where many people are using social media to promote their business or brand themselves, that more and more are 40 and over, but particularly 50+ seems to be a trend.
They quote the following:
- …separate data suggests that among US encore entrepreneurs, women are actually more prevalent than men.
- According to a 2010 report by Babson College, a business school near Boston, 10% of US women aged between 55 and 64 had taken steps to start their own business, compared with 7.5% of men.
- An ageing US population is one reason for the growing trend in encore entrepreneurs of both sexes – by 2030, at least 18% of the population of the US will be 65 or over.
I find this fascinating and there are many reasons for individuals now starting their own businesses, working at home, joining network marketing companies and/or starting their own businesses somehow.
Here are my own personal ideas on why so many of us are hitting the market as entrepreneurs.
- We’re over 50’ and as experienced individual, companies would have to ‘pay’ us usually more for our education, our skills and our experience. It becomes a rude awakening of many people laid off or who lose their jobs over 50. They can’t find a job equal to what they already had. The world hires the young because they’re cheaper.
- We’re over 50 and more mature. The world is changing and personally I don’t want to report on a job to a 25 year old straight out of college who’s 10 years younger than my oldest child and 4 years older than my youngest. I find that deeply distressing, even now (because I do work a 9-5) that EVERYONE around me is under 40. I want to scold my boss sometimes for silly stuff!
- We’re over 50 and we’re living in a weak economy, even still and we want to look to our future in terms of retirement, insurance, legacies. We want to make our own success. Stand on our own two feet and not be dependent on others for our retirement.
- We’re over 50 and we want to use what we’ve learned over the years to benefit others. Our experience can help many.
- We’re over 50 and we’ve got worlds of ‘experience’ in many things from education to people skills to emotional stability and any of the other many things that comes with maturity and can be used to build a successful business.
So there’s lots of statistics, but most of my friends on Facebook that are entrepreneurs are over 50. Where’d they come from? Out of the woodwork?
Nooooo, because so many of us are out there doing the same thing. Trying to make it work.
So many of us are looking for something better, want to be in control of our lives, want to have more time and money freedom and want to do it themselves.
So this post is short and sweet. Just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed the rise in Over 50 Entrepreneurs? What’s your opinion on this?
Are you over 50, or even over 45? Have you noticed this particular trend and what do you think about it? Tell me what you think of this trend and where you think it will take us?
Image by stockimages on http://freedigitalphotos.com