If you’ve been in network marketing your biggest issue is recruiting.
What most people who join an MLM don’t know is that it is not just about recruiting.
It’s about finding the right people, but particularly, a leader because ‘leaders’ are the ones who will help you build a successful team and move everyone to the top of the MLM food chain.
You see, you can do one of two things with a network marketing company.
A lot of people in the days of Tupperware and even now with Pampered Chef, Avon, Mary Kay, etc. may only be interested in retailing and making ‘right now’ money for themselves.
That may be all that they’re interested in and that’s fine!
But some people may want more. Most only have success in their network marketing companies if you build a team and you have to find the right people to help you succeed.
But what happens when you run out of your warm market? Who are the right people for your network marketing team?
The right people are leaders and they will usually show themselves right up front if you know what to look for. What does a leader look like and where do you find them?
Well, I’ll answer the easy question first. You find them everywhere. Leaders are everywhere. The trick is knowing what to look for to identify them.
How Do You Identify a Leader?
I’ve never been one to go to malls and stores to recruit. I hate being bothered that way so I wouldn’t want to do that to others. Your warm market will fade away, always and warm market is usually family and friends and are not business minded.
In a business, you want a business minded leader. Someone who knows something or wants to learn something about running their own business. In my opinion, finding ‘leaders’ is the luck of the draw so don’t blame yourself and get discouraged.
If you talk to people on a regular basis, you can spot leaders almost immediately.
I remember back in the day when I worked at a top telecommunications company and my boss said to me one day ‘how is it you seem to know what to say to people to get them to work so effectively’?’
How do you consistently seem to know what people need, how to calm them down, how to determine their personality and how to handle them?
I knew that what I had was instinctive – only doing what came natural to me in regards to sensing what a person needed. That helps me determine a leader. What is the personality I’m dealing with?
Are they warm and friendly? Are they a people person? Are they phony or negative? Do they have a sense of humur? (I love people with a sense of humor.)
Do they get upset easily? Do they have lots of friends?
Are they the center of attention in a gathering of people? Are they the life of the party?
These are some of the questions you can use to evaluate a ‘potential leader’ on your team.
I started looking at people a different way to see if I could use some of my people skills I knew and used in corporate to identify what a leader looked like.
Ten Ways To Find The Right Leader For Your MLM
- A leader sees the ‘big picture’ for that MLM. They are interested in the business plan, the compensation plan, the products and they care about people. They want to know everything about everything.
- Leaders ask questions to get as much information as they possibly can to get started.
- A leader is like a sponge learning the details of everything faster than you can provide. They suck up information and use it to get started working right away
- A leader will start recruiting when they still don’t know much about the company or the products. They ‘wing it or ‘fake it til they make it.’ They have sense enough to say ‘I’ll get right back to you with that info’ even when they don’t have it at their fingertips.
- A leader is charismatic and draws people to them without much effort just because they are excited about the company and the products and that excitement literally seems to run down to their fingertips when they ‘touch’ someone, ‘talk’ to someone. People seem automatically mesmerized to listen.
- A leader is excited about their new venture and their excitement is contagious like a sickness. A good sickness though! Everyone wants a piece of that flu. 🙂
- A leader entices you to follow them because their energy is alive, exciting and will keep you going even when you’re tired and want to give up.
- A leader understands the logistics of the compensation plan and where it can take you and readily shares information with you.
- A leader requires that you build a team and they help you, share with you, pass on recruits to you to encourage you because your success is their success and it takes everyone to the top!
- A leader knows how to deal with personalities and encourages each one toward their goal. They know how to soothe, how to ease a situation, how to get people to do what is needed and how to get people to work together.
- A leader will do whatever it takes to help the people get started, comforting them when needed, working side by side with them, and always available to help them no matter what until they can fly by themselves.
- And then a leaders job is just to support their own leaders with a listening ear or anything else they need.
Leaders stand by each other and strong leaders can build a wall that teaches, protects, enlightens and guides everyone to the top.
So now you’re thinking, it’s so hard to find these leaders, right? Well, in reality, it is not easy, but it’s not that hard either.
Personalities and people are not that difficult to decipher.
I consider myself a leader. I have built two successful teams of people in my MLM, Ardyss International, and one team was international halfway around the world in Papua New Guinea (near Australia) and how I built a team there.
On both of those teams, leaders were easy to identify and they literally stepped right up and started working! They knew a lot of people. Made friends with everyone and wanted to make money. 🙂
My international team stepped up with 6 leaders right away. Hungry women who wanted success and to make a better life for themselves and they immediately went to work.
They were not that hard to find because they were all of that above.
That’s what’s exciting! A leader’s energy will drive you to be more successful too. A leader’s energy will excite and light a fire under you and your team mates.
Once you’ve found one, treasure them – help them grow as a leader in life and in the network marketing company.
So I’ve given you the 10 things to look for in a leader. If you are in an MLM and have always wanted to build a team to success, read the list above and then look around you.
Find your leaders; people who want the same thing and success will be a given. They are right there! I guarantee it!
Are you in a network marketing company? Are you searching for your leaders so your team can grow to success?
Have you thought about international recruiting? Touch base with me or leave a comment below if you’d like to discuss how you can help identify your leaders and build your team.
Images by Stuart Miles and jscreationzs at http://freedigitalphotos.net