Social media used to be fun! Maybe it still is for many people, but since social media is now being used as much for business as social interaction, it has for me, personally, become a chore.
What do I mean? Well, in the last couple of years, social media has become the norm to reach out to people to promote their business.
But there are multiple problems with doing business online and using social media and much of it stems from people just not understanding what they need to do. Other problems are:
1. People don’t know who you are. People are coming online but don’t understand the concept of building relationships and don’t know how to effectively interact with people to begin and continue a productive, informative and interchangeable relationship.
2. It’s time consuming. To me, it seems like a 24/7 job. Promoting yourself ‘everywhere’ and ‘the right way’ as to not spam is stressful, hard work and tiring. Don’t you think?
3. Many new entrepreneurs have no idea what they’re doing. When I started out, I didn’t have a clue. It took me years to understand all the nuances of how to do business online and what building relationships was all about.
4. Many people don’t have the sales knowledge or business savvy to understand how to run a business at all, either online marketing and social media.
5. People don’t have marketing skills; business savvy; people skills, money management skills, etc. The bigger problem is they don’t know that they even need these skills.
You See, What Had Happened Was …!
I’m a network marketer. Just recently, I decided to find like-minded groups of network marketers and provide valuable information about bringing their businesses online, discuss how to market, how to blog, etc. to fellow network marketers.
I went to Facebook and did a search for groups called Network Marketing.
My goal was to see if there was a positive community of network marketers who wanted to bring their recruiting online. I wanted to see how we could help each other.
I was looking for people who were building relationships and working together sharing valuable information among each other. The problem was everyone was online but ALL were doing it the WRONG WAY!
People are in FB groups, and othersocial media, think dropping links in every group is the way to do business.
I searched numerous groups and every group had posts like this:
- Want to make a million dollars on this system? Here’s a brand new …
- Turn $1.75 into $100,000 and Never Pay More than that $1.75 out of your pocket!
- TURN $12 INTO $4000/WEEK ONLINE. * No selling products – in any way, shape or form. * No advertising. * No data entry.
Well, you get the picture. These are just a few with, of course, always the associated link!
What’s Wrong With This Picture?
THIS IS ALLLLL WRONG!
This is not the way to recruit or sell or attract people to you. And NO one is paying attention because we’ve seen it all before.
The links dropped in Groups and in emails (spam) accomplishes nothing yet people say they are doing business online, then later complain that they never made any money.
Or have you received a hello from a stranger on FB in your ‘Other’ Inbox saying ‘Hey…look at my blah…blah…blah! Click on the associated link….
Why Is It Wrong?
Very few people are introducing themselves and trying to develop relationships among the millions of people on social media, be it Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
Very few people understand that first you have to build a relationship with the people you are trying to influence.
What they don’t understand is that they have a better chance of gaining a customer or a relationship if you just reach out and talk to a person.
Find out what they need and if you can supply it, be it information or a product or a service, then you will make progress in that journey toward making money online.
No it’s not easy, but the strategy does work. If you know how to do it. You can reach out to me by signing up on the right if you have questions on how to be more effective with social media.
So personally, I’m sick of social media. But of course we have to use it regardless as the medium and, if used correctly, social media is extremely powerful and effectively.
Well then…how do we find people in social media who are interesting in the same things we are?
How Do You Ask? By Branding Yourself.
- Build relationships instead of dropping links in every random group or in a email or in someone’s inbox.
- When you’re on Facebook, find like groups of interest and start ‘Liking’ comments that interest you. Comment here or there on topics of interest. Let people get to know you.
- Get to know people and what they are about. Who has a family? Do you have anything in common with them? Develop communication with them via their Wall, the FB stream, Twitter stream or through other social media.
- Build a blog and begin to brand yourself and who you are and what you do.
- Visit other bloggers and leave comments about their posts. It helps that others get to know who you are and it brings traffic to your website which is an extra goodie.
- Build a following. Following and building relationships with others will help you find friends, develop relationships and develop trust.
- Don’t Spam. Don’t send email with links to random emails on people you don’t know on social media.
- Provide valuable information in some way to fellow group members if you are on FB groups.
- Learn how to build an effective list to get people who will opt into your mailing list of their own accord.
- Brand Yourself? Who are you? Show you are not some random person on the Internet trying to sell me something!
Relationship building will help you build your brand, but first make sure your brand is clearly defined and you have communicated this to people in the right way.
All these things need to be learned and it takes time but it is worth it to effectively build a following and develop relationships with people.
That way, social media will be an effective tool for your use in your business.
Me…I was tired of social media until I learned how to do it the right way!
Image by Theeradech Sanin, http://freedigitalphotos.net